Saturday, August 21, 2010

My first couple days in China: Beijing

The double decker 747 chased the sun from MSP to Japan as the plane landed just after dusk in Narito. Sleep, no; food, too much; wine, not enough. The flight was nice, save the woman’s feet that crept into the space between my arm rest and internal wall of the vessel. Countless efforts to make it known that they were not welcome failed. It didn’t really matter anyhow.

Beijing was a welcome and comfortable sight. So was the scent. So were the sights. The stacking ability for commercial trucks in China could one day capture a record. I was also reminded of the best way to cool oneself down in sticky summer nights, elevating the shirt to just under the breast as to let the tummy show, is an effective means to gain relief from the balmy temps. Mrs. Luo drove me to the hotel where we met her husband and Ms. Ma, a student who let us through the gate of the complex and helped carry some luggage. After receiving instructions on how to turn on the water heater for a much needed shower, and instructions to the air conditioning unit, in the sweltering room, my hosts left me to sleep. After essentially “pulling and all-nighter” one might think my eyelids would drop faster than my head to the pillow. The fact is though we ate a breakfast just before arriving in Tokyo, and my body felt the need to stay awake. After a short read I rested. I slept for a while, but continued to stir throughout the night for a full 6 hours before I was to meet with Mrs. Luo’s family again. I gave up and decided to organize my luggage that had been frantically packed in a few short minutes for what will be a year away from everything familiar.

Mr. Wang, Mrs. Luo’s husband, arrived promptly at 9:30 to take me to their house two blocks away for breakfast. We picked up some highly anticipated baozi (steamed buns with meat and sauce in the center) for breakfast. Accompanied with a wet rice and warm milk from an air-sealed container, Harrison, their son, and I furiously ate. Lunch came soon after at a simple, but classic restaurant. My first new phrase was also learned at the restaurant, grace a Harrison. Wo bao le, I’m full. Never will a foreigner in the company of such gracious host ever go hungry. However, I probably should have gone with the bulk supply of Tums. There weren’t any decorations on the wall in the restaurant so the staff and other guests decided I would be acceptable for the eyes’ entertainment. Better get used to it I suppose. I really don’t mind, but can I return the long looks? Tonight we will all go for dinner with some of their friends for what I am told is a classic Beijing specialty. Something about boiling and lamb maybe. For now though, Harrison and his mother decided I needed a nap at my hotel. I think they have appointments, or maybe I just look really tired, and that is ok with me, I am.

Dinner:

Ah yes, the good ol’ Mongolian Hotpot. A circle table with a gas fire in the middle to heat up the water in which all the food is to be prepared. Mrs. Luo and her family and I met with a newlywed couple for the dinner. Her English name was Angela, and his, Mark. I gave him the name Mark, he said it was a good name, but I think he was disappointed. I don’t blame, it was my first time giving someone an English name, maybe I should have called him Oliver, that might have been better. The first entrĂ©e was soup. An organ soup: liver, intestine, stomach in a tan broth. All elements of the concoction were a bit salty and definitely a bit chewy. It tasted ok, but as I chewed, it was difficult not to be a little bit disgusted with the idea of the content. It wasn’t too bad but I didn’t finish it, there was lamb to be eaten! Along with lamb, some meatballs, potatoes, cabbage and greens were thrown into the mix; all served up with a bean paste sauce and a peanut sauce. Mr. Wang and Mrs. Luo were sure to give me all the fixings for the sauce: onions, herbs and, of course, hot chili oil. My brother said that he thinks I will gain 5 pounds in China, A. he does not understand Chinese culture, or B. he has made a dramatic shift to conservatism. The Chinese people are like your grandmother who can’t stop asking if you need more food. However this has now been extended into the younger generations and past food. Mr. Wang and Mrs. Luo’s son, Harrison, embodies this. He couldn’t understand how I could have fun without video games or T.V. Rather than accepting this fact, he gave me a video game for my computer. I only have a few hundred gb left on my hard drive, so I will most likely need to delete it soon, just in case I take some pictures and want them on my computer.

My last day in Beijing was filled with more king-like treatment. For lunch I learned and helped cook a simple Chinese lunch. We made shrimp, veggies, and a slow cooked pork dish. A simple soup of water, egg, tomatoes, salt and chicken flavoring topped off the meal.

That night, before scurrying off to the train station we met with Ms. Luo’s friend, Jin. The restaurant was decent, it had 5 stars under the name in the hotel lobby, and we sat in a private room with several waiters always clearing and bringing new dishes out. Yeah, it was the luxe. I have no idea how much a place like this costs, but it was impeccable. I said thank you a million times, all replied to with a request to not thank them and how I was like their new son. Yes Midwesterners are nice, but the Chinese are truly hospitable to the 10th degree.

1 comment:

  1. So, the Chinese are very concerned with meals.. That's interesting..
    Greetings from Malaysia...
    Have a nice day....

    ReplyDelete